Log in

No account? Create an account
What a day 
18th-Oct-2009 07:16 pm
I was on the pager, but it's usually quiet, so I didn't think much about stepping out -- had the pager, had my cell. After breakfast I headed over to Forest Hills Cemetery for one of the last tours to be held there. I've been here 30 of the 32 years he's been doing this and never made it. I poked around a bit before folks showed up. Costs $10, takes over 3 hours. There were over 85 people in the group I was in. Worth doing. Wish I'd done it before -- could have made it an annual event. Yeah, he tells corny jokes, but he had a lot of good stories.

When I got back to the car about 5:30, I checked the pager to be sure all was well. Usually the main screen is what I see when I turn it on, since that is where I leave it, and the screen is locked when I turn it off, but it was a different, unfamiliar screen. I didn't think twice about it, deleted the text that had been typed into an unfamiliar screen, X'd out. Verified that I'd missed no calls and there were no messages. I thought I turned it off before putting it back on my belt, but a moment later, the light came on, and it claimed to be in the middle of a call. I hammered the "hang up" button. Finished getting ready for my drive home. Decided that was just a few too many odd things, and looked at it again. I noticed that the phone was off. Turned it on, and started my drive home. It beeped at me a few times a bit later, and I figured out at some stop before I got home that this was when it told me that I had 2 voice mail messages. Since I'd had it and my cell all day, I assumed this was like the text messages "for singles" the pager had been getting, and figured I'd delete them when I got home.

Once I got home, I found 2 messages from the customer and the boss wondering "where are you? I've tried all your numbers and I have a problem."

Meanwhile, that was 8-9 hours before, so my boss had solved the problem. But I feel VERY guilty.

And I'm tired and achy and am going to decide that over 4 hours of walking and standing and whatnot in the cold is worth something and I just don't need to spend 45 more minutes on the treadmill.
19th-Oct-2009 04:03 am (UTC)
[hug] You deserved a better day than that.
19th-Oct-2009 04:52 pm (UTC)
Thanks. It's hard to feel that I deserve anything good at this time, but your hugs are most appreciated.
19th-Oct-2009 04:39 am (UTC)
Anne and I made it to the cemetery tour a couple weeks ago. It was the first time for both of us as well - and we were very happy we did. Our group was smaller - more like 30 people, but it was a day with a bit of off and on rain as we took the tour. Glad you made it!
19th-Oct-2009 04:51 pm (UTC)
Yesterday was warm if one was moving and in the sun, and COLD if one was standing in shadow, so I spent much of that time uncomfortable. And my back hates me now. But I'm quite glad I made it. And glad that it wasn't raining. I really wish he'd record some of his stories. I'd buy them.
19th-Oct-2009 03:50 pm (UTC)
Eeks. I've never used a pager, so don't know how that works -- but I do know that different cell phones are, well, not the same! I feel for you. That would make me feel lousy. So, like Gabe said, here's a virtual hug. xoxo
19th-Oct-2009 04:49 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the hug.

I call it "the pager" because it used to be a pager, but now it's a phone -- a Treo I think. A cross between a phone and a Palm Pilot with the Windows OS on it. The good thing about this one is that it has a greater range. The bad thing is that it has a mind of its own.
19th-Oct-2009 07:42 pm (UTC)
Sorry for the bad reception. I've had similar experiences and they are no fun. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour though. Cemetary tours can be soo fun.
19th-Oct-2009 08:41 pm (UTC)

If you were more local I'd tell you that I strongly encouraged you to attend one of the tours... (but bring warm clothes and a folding chair.)
This page was loaded Sep 17th 2019, 5:19 am GMT.